Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Dominican Republic


Tuesday AM saw a beautiful day, with land on the horizon. Republica Dominicana was “discovered” by Columbus. He called the bay where we anchored “The Gulf of Arrows” because the local inhabitants sent him packing.
This is the first year that cruise ships are stopping in Samana, so there isn’t a deep water dock yet…we had to go ashore on a tender. We got lucky and got to ride in one of these cool lifeboats. If it was full to its 110 person capacity, it would be pretty snug, I suspect. Though- any old lifeboat in a storm, I suppose.
We wandered a bit then the Chief Negotiator found us a promoter on his day off who then pitched a price to a driver and we were off to the beach. I'm definitely going to have to check out the Google earth view of the trip, cuz I got rum in my eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home